Woodland Heritage Northeast Ltd. is proud to announce that as of December 15, 2020, By-law No. 2020-127 was passed by the Corporation of the City of Temiskaming Shores which reads as follows:
“Being a by-law to authorize the sale of the former New Liskeard Branch Library (50 Whitewood Avenue) to Woodland Heritage Northeast Ltd.”
With the acquisition of the building formerly known as the New Liskeard Carnegie Library on March 1, 2021, WHNE has formally moved into the building with the intention of preserving it to the best of our ability for years to come. The building is not currently open to the public but an appointment can be made to meet us if necessary.
Ontario’s Carnegie Libraries are an important part of the Province’s cultural, architectural, and civic heritage. Built from local limestone in 1910 with a grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the New Liskeard Public Library faithfully served the New Liskeard area for 110 years until it was closed earlier this year. While many Carnegie buildings across North America have been altered or demolished, the Carnegie building in New Liskeard is specifically recognized by the Ontario Association of Architects for the preservation of most of its interior and exterior features. It is a prime example of the Carnegie Libraries and as a result, was municipally registered as a heritage building in 1983.